BTRIPP (btripp) wrote,
BTRIPP
btripp

Bleh ...

As if I didn't have enough stuff to fill my weekend with (given that I'm way behind on typing up my class notes and making my recipe flash cards for the Bartending course), I just started on another project.

This one is filed under "THINK THROUGH YOUR SYSTEMS BEFORE BEGINING THEM!" ... when I started "tagging" books over in my LibraryThing catalog I was using a location code that went "filed c1-s3-b20" ... some 1,500 books later it struck me that I have more than 10 bookshelves, so at some point the sort (which is based on location) is going to get screwed up! So, I've started going in and editing all 1,500+ tags with an extra zero so they'll read "filed c01-s3-b20" and won't eventually cause a problem when I start logging in books for Bookcase #10 (i.e. "c10").

Fortunately, this is a relatively easy procedure ... click on an "edit" link, click to position the mouse, type "0", click on a submit button, and repeat as needed (well, in blocks of 20, before having to go to the next catalog page) ... taking about 4 seconds each. That should mean that the whole project (if plowed right through) would just take a couple of hours. Of course, it would be brain-curdling to do it that way, so I'm taking it one bookcase at a time, and already have Bookcase #1 done.

It does piss me off, though, that I didn't think of this when I was first setting up how I was going to tag the books. I mean, all I had to do was look around my office and count to know that I have eleven bookcases in here, and that's just my office (although, admittedly, 95% of my books are in here). Stupid, stupid, stupid. Excuse me while I go kick myself some.


Visit the BTRIPP home page!



Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

    When you submit the form an invisible reCAPTCHA check will be performed.
    You must follow the Privacy Policy and Google Terms of use.
  • 0 comments